Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Twitter Facts and Stats
Posted on March 14th 2012
The first time a post about Twitter appeared on my blog was March 2009. My, how time and Tweets fly. With 500 million registered users and 33 billion Tweets flying across the Twittersphere every day, Twitter has become a member of our family and a major part of our daily online experience. While many struggle to understand its worth, Twitter has become the most efficient global information network on the planet. Maybe some facts and figures will help put all this into perspective.
Twitter Through The Years
- 2006 – Twttr’s leaves the nest (Yes that’s how it was originally spelled), by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, and Biz Stone
- 2007 – Dorsey, Williams and Stone raise $1 million and the company is valued at $5 million
- 2009 – 2 billion Tweets per day, and the founders raise $35 million to continue its growth
- 2010 – Twitter raises $200 million, now is valued at $3.7 billion
- 2011 – Twitter grow to 100 million active users sending 33 billion Tweets per day
5 Times When Tweets Went Through The Ceiling
- “Castle in the Sky” hits television screens – 25,088 Tweets per second
- The final few minutes of Superbowl XLVI – 10,245 Tweets per second
- The reaction to Madonna at the Superbowl – 10,245 Tweets per second
- Tim Tebow and the Broncos Win a big one – 9,420 Tweets per second
- Beyonce appears at the Video Music Awards – 8,869 Tweets per second
People Polled Say They Retweet
- Value-add content – 92%
- Because of a personal connection to the original Tweeter – 84%
- Because they thought the Tweet was funny – 66%
- Because there was an incentive given in exchange – 32%
- Because there was a request made – 26%
- Because the Tweet came from a Celebrity – 21%
Did You Know
- Twitter’s projected ad revenue in 2012 is $259 million
- Twitter's projected ad revenue by 2014 is $540 million
- 11 Twitter accounts are created every second
- 1 million Twitter accounts are opened every day