Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Twitter Facts and Stats
Posted on March 14th 2012
The first time a post about Twitter appeared on my blog was March 2009. My, how time and Tweets fly. With 500 million registered users and 33 billion Tweets flying across the Twittersphere every day, Twitter has become a member of our family and a major part of our daily online experience. While many struggle to understand its worth, Twitter has become the most efficient global information network on the planet. Maybe some facts and figures will help put all this into perspective.
Twitter Through The Years
- 2006 – Twttr’s leaves the nest (Yes that’s how it was originally spelled), by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, and Biz Stone
- 2007 – Dorsey, Williams and Stone raise $1 million and the company is valued at $5 million
- 2009 – 2 billion Tweets per day, and the founders raise $35 million to continue its growth
- 2010 – Twitter raises $200 million, now is valued at $3.7 billion
- 2011 – Twitter grow to 100 million active users sending 33 billion Tweets per day
5 Times When Tweets Went Through The Ceiling
- “Castle in the Sky” hits television screens – 25,088 Tweets per second
- The final few minutes of Superbowl XLVI – 10,245 Tweets per second
- The reaction to Madonna at the Superbowl – 10,245 Tweets per second
- Tim Tebow and the Broncos Win a big one – 9,420 Tweets per second
- Beyonce appears at the Video Music Awards – 8,869 Tweets per second
People Polled Say They Retweet
- Value-add content – 92%
- Because of a personal connection to the original Tweeter – 84%
- Because they thought the Tweet was funny – 66%
- Because there was an incentive given in exchange – 32%
- Because there was a request made – 26%
- Because the Tweet came from a Celebrity – 21%
Did You Know
- Twitter’s projected ad revenue in 2012 is $259 million
- Twitter's projected ad revenue by 2014 is $540 million
- 11 Twitter accounts are created every second
- 1 million Twitter accounts are opened every day