Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Twitter Stats That Will Get You Tweeting -- 100%
Posted on August 26th 2011
Are you unsure about setting up an account on Twitter? Maybe you feel like it’s not right for your brand or your line of work, maybe you think that anything you would have to say would fall on deaf ears because your target audience don’t use twitter. Maybe you’re wrong…
The following statistics will prove that Twitter is fast and furiously becoming the social media platform used by everyone. The stats should show that it doesn’t matter if you are female, male, have kids …if you are wealthy, broke, employed or looking for work – you still have an audience on Twitter. Take a look and see for yourself – the stats also show that even if you haven’t got a presence on Twitter, people could still be talking about you….so maybe you should be listening?
Over the last 5 years -
- There are 200,000,000 registered Twitter users
- Almost 88% of people have awareness of Twitter and its existence
- There are 450,000 new Twitter accounts created everyday
- Meaning there are 5.2 accounts created every second of everyday
So we can longer claim that’s it unknown – there is a huge audience out there, right at your fingertips. That is a lot of people in a short space of time that have been convinced by its power.
- There are one billion tweets posted every week
- 180,000,000 everyday
- 138,888 every minute
- Over 1,650 every second
- Just 5% of Twitter users create 75% of the content tweeted
- There are 1.6 billion search queries everyday
- Meaning that there are 18,000 search queries every second
Still worried that you’re too old to be using it or that your brand or company is the wrong sort to be using twitter? Take a look at the numbers then…
- 46% of Twitter users are female
- 54% are male – very equal demographics
- 53% don’t have children
- 47% do have children – time doesn’t seem to be an issue
- The majorty of twitter users are aged between 30 and 49 - perfect age group
- 43% of people follow a brand on Twitter for special deals/offers
- 75% of users are more likely to purchase from a brand they follow – good headstart
- 67% of users are likely to recommend a brand they follow to other users
Ok….but maybe you’re still worried about the freedom of speech that users have. The fact that anyone can write anything about you, your brand, your services or your skills…
- 1,000,000 people view tweets about customer service each week
- 80% of those tweets are negative and critical
- As much as 75% of traffic comes from sources outside Twitter
We’ll let you in on a secret – whether you have a twitter account or not people can write whatever they want, whenever they want – they will get heard and it will get commented on and it will get passed on. Surely it’s better to be listening in on those criticisms, dealing with them and changing things for the better. Let people know you’re listening.
Maybe you don’t have a brand or a company or even a job – we’ve got a stat that should get you tweeting nonetheless
- Up to 85% of companies are using social media as part of their recruitment
Or maybe you don’t have the time to be on twitter in the middle of the day and therefore think you would miss out on most activity anyway….
- 5pm is the best time to be retweeted
So no excuses then? Looks like Twitter has an answer for everything….
If you have anything you’d like to add to this blog post – please feel free to send comments our way.