Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
What Is the Most Popular Content Shared on Social Media?
Posted on October 17th 2013
In a world, where there are 2.7 billion internet users, it is not easy to get your content seen, read and shared easily. While few create great content and get recognition, others get lost and keep trying. Those who create great content tend to ignore why people share their content. Thats because it is puzzling. Yes, we don’t know why people share the content. Is it because of the content, the photo, the links in the post, or stats involved? People share on Facebook, re-tweet, recommend or press the content because they want to. They like it and think that the content deserves recognition and is contextually relevant.
Motivations for sharing
Many studies don’t really reveal the motivations behind content sharing but a study by New York Times shows,
- 49% say sharing allows them to inform others of products they care about and potentially change opinions or encourage action.
- 94% carefully consider how the information they share will be useful to the recipient.
- 68% share to give people a better sense of who they are and what they care about.
- 73% share information because it helps them connect with others who share their interests.
- 78% share information online because it lets them stay connected to people they may not otherwise stay in touch with.
- 69% share information because it allows them to feel more involved in the world
- 84% share because it is a way to support causes or issues they care about.
Thus content sharing is bringing value and entertaining content to others, to define ourselves to others, to grow and nourish our relationships, self-fullfillment and to get the word about causes or brands.
What is the most popular content shared on Social Media
According a report on Ipsos, a survey indicated that a significant proportion of internet users share pictures on social media. A breakdown on the most popular content shared on Social Media sites is shown in the chart.
As we observe in this report social media has been turning visual in nature and photography has become the center of attraction of social media engagement (43%). Thus people are liking more a visual content than any other content as it is easy to understand, which means the written content is dying??
Well some of the stats below could indicate the importance of visual content in Social Media:
- Among the top 10 activities on Facebook for Q2 2013, uploading and sharing photos has been the top activity on desktop, mobile and tablet (Jeffbullas.com)
- Among the top 10 activities on Twitter for Q2 2013, uploading and sharing photos has been the second top activity on desktop, mobile and tablet (Jeffbullas.com)
- Among the top 10 activities on Google Plus for Q2 2013, uploading and sharing photos has been the top activity on desktop, mobile and tablet (Jeffbullas.com)
- Pinterest, a visual medium, is the fastest growing social media network which grew 88 per cent year-on-year (Computer World)
- Publishers who use infographics as their marketing weapon can increase their traffic by 12%. (Infographic B2B)
- 40% of people will respond better to visual information than plain text. (Zabisco)
Having looked at this, why do you share content??? Does visual content play an important role in your content sharing? DO let me know your thoughts!!!