Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Why Digital Signage and Social Media Go Together Like Bread and Butter
Posted on June 24th 2014
Digital marketing is a ubiquitous term that encompasses any platform that incorporates the latest in digital technology. Of the available outlets, digital signage and social media are the two platforms that have showed the most promise in capturing consumer attention. If both methods work amazingly well on their own, then it makes sense that the integration of the two is even better. In fact, most businesses that have put this into practice can attest the effectiveness of such a campaign.
Statistics at a glance
It is already well established that digital signage and social media work wonders by themselves in a marketing application. Some statistics will illustrate just how prevalent these two digital platform phenoms are:
- There are expected to be 22 million digital signage displays employed for marketing use by 2015
- 42% of shoppers have indicated that they would prefer to shop at a place with in-store video displays
- Stores with digital signage displays experience a 31.8% average increase in upswing sales volume
- In a four year period from 2004-2008, Facebook users increased from one million to 845 million
- 70% of local businesses use Facebook as a marketing tool, as indicated in a 2011 Merchant Confidence Index survey
- In 2011, Twitter had nearly half a million new signups per day, with 460,000 new registered users
- 72% of the world’s population is active on at least one social network
Digital Signage + Social Media = Long-term Marketing Success
The key is to implement a game plan that regularly integrates your social media channels with your digital displays. So what is the best way to merge the two together? There are multiple ways of achieving this end; the simplest method is to add a message in your signage display encouraging consumers to subscribe to your social network channel. However, it does pay off to get a little creative and think outside the box.
Consider the following examples:
- For Twitter, show what some people are tweeting about your business and encourage others to send their own 140 character tweets. This way, they will see their own tweet as it pops up on the screen in real time. This is also a good way to spread the use of hashtags to get a particular topic to trend.
- Images are much more memorable than words. A toy store, for example, can place some life-size figurines of characters from trending cartoons, movies or other children’s programs and have parents take pictures of their child posing with the figurines. The photo can then be added to the company’s Pinterest page where the photo along with others will be shown in a collage format on the digital display.
- An employment agency or company in the recruitment industry can use digital displays to show its LinkedIn page and show the profiles of users who used the agency’s services and landed a job. It can also show comments submitted by these individuals praising the agency for helping them find a new career.
- A university campus can use its social media channel to remind students of an upcoming varsity game and encourage students to leave behind supportive comments and posts that instill school spirit.
Most of the examples above encourage customer interaction. Most seasoned marketers agree that consumer engagement is extremely important and if done right, can dramatically increase brand recognition, which ultimately leads to better ROI.
Why the Combination of the Two Works
The two used together produces stellar results because it encourages interactivity through the platform of social media, which is a global trend. When customers engage with your brand, they will feel more compelled to explore your products and services in greater depth, which ultimately leads to more purchases and long-term consumer loyalty. It’s all about fostering communication and treating your customers as actual people rather than dollar signs.
The trend of social media and digital signage isn’t going away anytime soon. In fact, they’re only going to evolve over time as technology improves. Now is a better time than ever for aspiring businesses to get into the fray and combine social media with digital signage for a powerful marketing effect that most businesses are already reaping the benefits of.