Your Facebook Page's Organic Reach Is About to Plummet

Tara Urso
Tara Urso Social Media and Content Strategist, insight180

Posted on March 24th 2014

Your Facebook Page's Organic Reach Is About to Plummet

Your Facebook page’s organic reach is about to plummet — even more so than it has in the past six months, down to a lowly 1-2%, actually. That means if you have 1,000 Facebook likes on your page, only about 10-20 of those fans will even see your posts! While organic reach has long been declining, it has significantly declined since the fall of 2013.

Short History of Facebook Organic Reach

Since Facebook pages for business launched in 2007, the organic page reach has been decreasing. By April of 2012, Facebook itself disclosed that Fan Pages reached only 16% of their audiences on average. Recently, a study revealed that Facebook page organic reach went from an average of 12.05% in October, 2013 to 6.15% in February, 2014.

Last fall, Facebook cited “A lack of space in the newsfeed” as a reason for the decline in organic reach. It’s possible that shortly, there will be no room left for organic posts at all.

This change is very bad news for businesses who have spent the past seven years collecting Facebook fans, unless they’re willing to start spending regularly to reach their audience. The worst part is that this applies to pages across the board. Whether you’re a huge brand with millions of likes, a community organization page or a non-profit, this dip in organic reach will affect you.

Should Your Company Use Facebook?

At this point you’re asking, should my company even use Facebook—Is it worth the time? Do the thousands of fans you have acquired even matter anymore? With a measly 1-2% reach, it’s hard to justify spending time posting on Facebook.

Facebook wants to assure you, “The fans you have matter.” In fact, the sales deck lists a number of benefits to acquiring fans, including improving organic distribution and getting more insight about your audience. The number one reason? “Improving ad effectiveness.”

In short, your fans matter, if and only if, you plan on spending money to reach them. After years of using Facebook for free advertising, this may seem unfair, but Facebook needs to make revenue somehow. And while you may not be too keen on the thought of spending money with Facebook, more engaging posts will still lead to a larger reach (when people share, like or comment on your posts, Facebook will see this as a post of interest and allow it to come up in more people’s newsfeeds).

An Affordable Marketing Option

The Wild West of Facebook is coming to an end. People tend to forget that Facebook isn’t a charity or a non-profit organization. Facebook is a business and just as companies pay for a variety of other marketing services, Facebook is demanding to become a paid service as well.

Many companies have succumbed to paying for Facebook ads and sponsored stories already with great success. After all, posting and only reaching your current audience doesn’t always bring in the best results. With your current audience, it’s more than likely that they already follow you on Twitter and Linkedin, and you have them on your email list. By spending on Facebook ads, you can reach beyond this current audience and gain new followers, which isn’t easy to do organically.

When compared to traditional advertising like television, radio or print, Facebook is more affordable and more targeted.

Facebook Ads 2014

(via Moz Blog)

Brian Carter points out on The Moz Blog, “If you just spend $1 per day on Facebook ads, you will get in front of 4,000 people that wouldn’t have seen you otherwise. If you are doing that and your competitors aren’t, you win the awareness game in your niche.”

Carter also notes that there are many companies receiving a positive ROI using Facebook advertising, but there are other companies doing it poorly and without proper statistics or strategy. If you decide to add Facebook ads or sponsored stories to your marketing mix, take time to create a viable plan.

The Solution

The reality is, Facebook’s organic reach could be zero very shortly. Facebook has been making strides in this direction and it seems inevitable that paid posts will be the norm for businesses. It seems unfair that businesses who have invested time and money acquiring followers will no longer be able to reach that audience, but even with a small budget, companies can turn this bad news into an opportunity.

With very targeted ad campaigns, great content and even the smallest amount of cash to spend, companies can reach their current fans and more on Facebook. Moz’s Brian Carter mentions, “If you can’t spend $30 per month ($1 per day on Facebook Ads), you shouldn’t be in business."

There is some truth to Carter’s statement. While it’s difficult for certain businesses to pay their overhead let alone advertise, if you think about spending with Facebook as an investment in your organization’s brand, it may look a little different. How important is it for your brand to engage with fans on Facebook? How detrimental would it be or what opportunities would be missed it be if your organization didn’t engage in this way?

What does your company plan to do concerning the decline in Facebook pages organic reach? Let us know in the comments below.

Tara Urso

Tara Urso

Social Media and Content Strategist, insight180

Tara Urso is a Social Media and Marketing Strategist at insight180 branding and design, a branding and design firm specializing in B2B advisory firms and those who "sell the invisible." She frequently writes for the insight180 blog. You can find her on Google+, Linkedin and Twitter.

Comments

Zach Ethan
Posted on March 24th 2014 at 6:51PM

I think most business owners have no problem with paying Facebook for advertising, I believe the primary problem is having to pay to get new fans, and then pay again to reach the same fans you just paid for. Then repeating this cycle again and again. Most small businesses are willing to pay for Facebook advertising, but they simply cannot afford to promote every single post.

Also I'm not sure what Brian Carter was getting at with his point, have any of you tried spending $1/day on Facebook advertising? It doesn't do much. If you want real results you need to be spending at minimum $10+/day to expand your reach, $1 will do nothing.

Avtar Ram Singh
Posted on March 25th 2014 at 2:43AM

Hey Zach,

While I echo your sentiment about paying over and over for fans - one crucial aspect that you're missing is that promoting to your fans costs less. Instead of paying $0.25 CPC over and over by targeting an audience - once you've made them your fans, your CPC drops significantly (at least from my personal experience). So it makes it cheaper to target to your fans.

Which is why - target your "Page Like" posts properly!

Tara Urso
Posted on March 25th 2014 at 8:04PM

Thanks for the comment Avtar. Yeah, that is one crucial point about paying for reach with Facebook, through targeted campaigns you can get those in your target audience to like your page and it's like an investment in the future because it's cheaper to reach them. This is why posting content behind a fan gate is a good idea, you gain the like and reach your target audience all in one!

Zach Ethan
Posted on March 25th 2014 at 8:42PM

Hi Avtar,

You're certainly right that it's cheaper to reach people who are already your fans, but I don't think the price drops significantly. The CPC is still fairly high from my experience, I've actually never experienced a CPC below $0.25. Any advice for getting my CPC lower? We're almost always paying more than $0.50 CPC. Even with use advanced targeting and Power Editor it really hasn't helped decrease CPC much.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:33PM

Until you have to, in perpetuity, pay for Boosted posts to Reach those same fans since Reach declines to 1%-2%.

Tara Urso
Posted on March 25th 2014 at 8:09PM

Thanks for posting Zach,

As Avtar said, it's cheaper to reach current audience members. You may need to spend more than $1 per day at first... but once you gain your targeted audience, you can spend less.

Also, this could really be a step forward in terms of content marketing because since organic reach is declining, companies will really begin understand the importance of engagement (more so than before), pushing them to actually create content worth sharing. Those who don't want to/cannot spend as much may really focus on the content creation aspect.

Zach Ethan
Posted on March 25th 2014 at 8:22PM

Hi Tara,

Could you please elaborate on how I could spend $1/day to reach our entire fanbase?

I don't think it's feasible. I've toyed around with different CPC and CPM pricing strategies and I don't even think I've ever been able to reach our entire fanbase with less than $10/day; in most cases it's substantially more. I'd love to figure out how to cut our costs down to reach our entire fanbase.

I do agree that content marketing is the new trend that's catching on, however you still have to pay to play. Great content alone isn't the answer unfortunately.

Tara Urso
Posted on March 26th 2014 at 1:05PM

Are you using ads on the sidebar or sponsored stories? Are you focusing on creating great content that people want to share? Do you have a targeted landing page or have you tried creating a custom landing page within Facebook? If you're creating sharable content, your cpc should be lower because people want to like, comment and share.

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:31PM

Completely not true.

Let's say you can get new fans for $1 a day (not a reality, but let's just say this...and you will NEVER be able to spend less than a $1 a day...there isnt even a choice of this for ad spends). Let's also say we have the absolute best content in the entire world that our fans just LOVE.

Since organic reach is down to 1%-2%, this means I will, in perputuity have to pay for Boosted posts (and this is NOWHERE NEAR a doolar a day...more like $8-$10 a day) to reach the fans I just spent a $1/day to attain.

It is not a step forward in content maketing. Pages who have great content that was always sharable will need to pay to reach the advocates that will then share. And when they do Share, and you get a new fan, they will not see ongoing content without a boosted post spend.

Even with a focus on strong content (and any good social has already been doing this) to get that content out is going to cost much more than a $1 a day.

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:20PM

Well said...I replied to another post regarding this ridiculous strawman argument of "$1 a day".

And let's even aquiesce and say $1 a day gets people to come to your Page and Like. I will need to now pay for Boosted Posts on a continual basis to have those people I just spent the "$1 a day" to attain to see each piece of content ongoing in perpetuity.

Brands for the win. Small business for the loss. Users of Facebook for the spam filled Home feeds by those who can afford big budgets for the loss.

kengullette
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:16PM

Nobody should apologize for Facebook by saying "They have to make a profit somehow." Actually, Facebook should allow people who like your page to see your posts. Period. They are ripping us off. And Facebook should make sure that when you pay to promote an ad to get more eyeballs and more "likes," only those interested in your subject sees it. The sad truth is, when we have paid for Facebook "likes" in the past, even when we have done so under Facebook's rules, Facebook allows people to like our page who have no interest in it. And so, when we do pay so our "likes" can see our ad or post, a lot of those who we pay for STILL have no interest in our product, and the ones who do are a tiny fraction of the ones who see the promotion. Enough. Let's focus on strategies that make us money -- like blogs, YouTube videos, podcasts, and pay-per-click. At least those attract people who are interested.

ubersocialmedia
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:21PM

I no longer recommend use of Facebook to the vast majority of my clients. Even when a small business can afford to pay for exposure, i've seen that CTR's from News Feed adverts, with very careful targeting, have dropped down to around 4%-5% when previously the CTR I was able to achieve on Facebook News Feed ads was significantly higher.

Users in the UK are abandoning Facebook (active logins have been declining for well over a year), and I know as a user, i'm sick of the same old rubbish appearing in my News Feed and i'm also sick of Facebook deciding what I want to see which stops me seeing a lot of content I do want to see but end up missing whilst it forces low quality drivel into my News Feed that I have no interest in.

I think for a good few months now, as a rule, the number of people who are reported as seeing organic wall posts has already dropped well below 5% for all of the clients I work with.

If a business doesn't have a budget to pay for exposure then Facebook is pointless, but many small business owners still don't realise how few of their followers actually ever see content they post, then wonder why they get tiny levels of engagement which puts them off using other forms of social media. which would actually be more beneficial to them.

Tara Urso
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:40PM

"If a business doesn't have a budget to pay for exposure then Facebook is pointless"

that pretty much sums it up!

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:16PM

Which is the complete opposite of what social was intended for: That the small business with a very limited budget can compete with the "big brands" based on value of product and service and strong engagement with a fan base.

Bye bye level playing feild, hello to spamed Home feeds by those who can simply afford to fill Home Feeds.

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 8:00PM

I respectfully disagree. As a consumer I hardly ever look at my news feed. I use Interest Lists let me see posts from pages of my choosing without the algorithm coming into play. I also simply intentionally navigate to many pages to see what they are doing, if they have events, what sales are going on etc. If I learn about a business else where I will scope them out on Facebook to try to learn a bit about them before I decide whether or not to do business with them. None of that has anything to do with the news feed. You may not gain any new exposure from people who don't already know about you if you're not willing to pay on Facebook but that does not mean there is still not value there for people who are scoping you out or intentionally navigate to your page.

Tara Urso
Posted on April 1st 2014 at 7:46PM

I agree to an extent but there are only very few pages that I have added to an interest list... and i doubt many who aren't in the social media world like you and I even know what that is or how to do it.

There are some pages which have actively asked their audience to add them to an interest list/ get notifications for every post, which is a good strategy. Laura Roeder of LKR social media for example has an arrow on her page's cover image pointing and asking for her audience to actively receive her updates, regardless of FB's algorithm. This is a great strategy and I bet a lot of other businesses wish they had been doing this, but like i said, I don't think most people have interest lists or have opted in to get every notification. Maybe I'm wrong and I would be interested to know just how many people opt in to get notifications.

I do think that there is value in continuing with a fb page without paying if people are regularly navigating to it because of ulterior reasons than seeing what you have in the newsfeed, such as going to a networking event and giving someone your business card then they look at your fb page, a person just read an artice you wrote and clicks on your company's fb page link, your company has an awesome newsletter and a recepient clicks on your fb link, etc. But that's a whole other story. As you know, there are many facets to content marketing.

When I said that the only way to reach your audience on fb is to pay, I was more referring to those with pages who have been relying on organic reach for their content to be seen. For those who are doing awesome newsletters/ emailers, going to or hosting events and just all around getting their name out there, and encouraging people to navigate to your facebook page, that's different.

It's known that fb's organic reach has been bad for a while but if you have 1000 likes and reach goes down to 1%, only 10 people will see that post organically in the newsfeed. Even if you have an awesome post that people would want to share, what if those 10 people ignore it? My point is that the organic reach pool is getting smaller.

Ps. I would like to know how many people use the interest list feature. I made a survey so anyone reading who is interested, please take it! >>

Survey: Do You Use Either of Facebook's Features: "Get Notifications" or "Interest List"?

Spot_IM
Posted on June 19th 2014 at 2:12PM

Yes, but what if you're not a business? What if you're a non-profit digital publisher, a blogger, or some kind of website host that wants to find, build and engage with their community? They don't have money to spend and they're not looking to make money. Social media of this sort is broken. Good thing there are solutions for them and for-profit websites to host their own social network within their site.

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:14PM

Exactly.

The article quotes "If you can't afford to pay $30 a month..." is a complete, non factual based strawman argument. Any business can afford $30 (which is a ridiculous dollar figure to begin with... a single Boosted post alone is $30 for many Pages). The problem we are seeing is that even when you do this, and you engage a fan...you then have to PAY AGAIN for them to see the next piece of content. And the next...and the next...diminishing returns to ROI (the exception being pushing to an ecommerce site)

$30 might get them to the door, but if they cannot step inside long term and engage without paying for them again, then you get a crowded storefront with no one ever actually seeing whats in your display case.

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 7:56PM

You can pause/stop a boosted post at any time to pay less than the minimum shown when you initiated the boost. Sure it's a pain in the neck to remember to go back and do so but for people who only have one business page to remember it's not so hard a thing to do.

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 7:55PM

What about the people who intentionally navigate to a business' page to see what they are posting? Putting on my consumer shoes for a moment... I hardly ever look at my personal news feed... but they are many, many pages that I go to on a regular basis to see what the business is up to, what info they are sharing, do they have any sales, any events coming up? Also, I have many businesses that I've added to my interest lists... when I go to my list, those posts are not fed through the algorithm... I'm seeing everything from those pages that I have added to my list.

I would never recommend my clients not use Facebook. I still think there is value in having a presense, an active presense at that, that people can see if they go to your page to scope you out and see what you are up to. We need not be so tunnel vision focused on the news feed being the only mean in which our content is being seen by consumers.

Amy Decker
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:22PM

While I understand that Facebook is a business that wants to make money, it's very difficult for someone like me to accept -- I admin a fan page devoted to animal welfare. I don't make money doing this, therefore I don't have money to spend on ad or reach campaigns. However, it's very important to spread the word about animal welfare and related causes and I'm seeing my posts delivered to a very small number of my over 22,000 followers. I would think Facebook could make some sort of exception in non-profit causes such as this.

James Meyer
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:30PM

I think the whole point is if you are going to use Facebook, or Twitter or any other SM platform you need to convert your fans and followers to an owned list or something YOU control.

Tara Urso
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 5:39PM

Completely agree james. Get those email addresses!

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 7:48PM

Sure that sounds good and theory. And if it was as easy as pushing out posts every now and then that say "click here to join our email list" or something similar that'd be all well and good (if people were actually paying attention and willing to do so.) But what's your method for doing so? Say you have 25k 'likes' on Facebook... how are you converting them to your list? You have 8,000 followers on Twitter, how are you converting them to your lists? I don't think it's that people don't get the idea that owned media is better than earned... I think it's that they are trying to interact with their consumers, where the consumers are... and it's much more difficult to convert people over to something you own/manage than you make it sound. And there's no way you're going to do that without paying.

James Meyer
Posted on April 1st 2014 at 8:43PM

Yes AK, I've done it. Have I converted 100% of followers, no.  Could anyone?  No. But to answer your question yes I have, for several clients, in different industries.

The various channels have different uses.  Certainly there may be, and often is, overlap but each has strengths, and weaknesses.

Consider what you have of value for your followers and that becomes the key to growing an "owned" list.

Talking Finger
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:01PM

We all know Facbook is not a charity.

However, the point I want to make, and the many clients of ours who have been using Facebook for so long is the WAY Facebook is doing this.
After years of cultivationg fans and creating content to keep them interested and engaged, provide valuable information, and YES, even spending money here and there on ads and boosted posts...Facebook then pulls the rug out from underneath these very businesses.

I equate it to a CRM tool for example. I buy the tool, and enter in all of my contacts. Say it's a thousand. I pay for updates to the CRM tool over the years to keep it functioning. Then the CRM developer comes to me and says...oh by the way...if you want to contact the people in your CRM you have to now pay for each contact.

Facebook is once again puhing towards the concentration on the larger companies and big brands who have the budgets and resources to pay for this, at the sufferance of the small businesses that they should be embracing. We admin 140 FB Pages for clients, and many are now looking to move off of facebook in their disgust with the slap in the face to years of investments in time and money to build cultured audiences. Most have paid for fb ads here and there, and of course most have paid for Boosted Posts as well here and there (about an average of 2-3 per month).

Now Facbook is basically saying that was never good enough, so we will hide the fans you worked so hard to attain and keep engaged unless you pay us.

This is a move that Facebook is going to regret. I have already have had several clients pull any further efforts on Facebook beyond maintaining regula content. Two have cancelled creating a photo contest and a sweepstakes in the last week, and will now do this on their website with a push from other social media. I speak reguarly to groups an organizations teaching social and in the last coupel of weeks as this leaks out about a major crush to Reach, people are asking if this is all worth it anymore on Facebook when there are so many other great sites.

What Facebook should have done is allow exsiting fans be reached via organic means, and somehow work out a way that businesses pay for reaching new fans.

G+ and other social networks are smiling.

OpenAdilo
Posted on April 3rd 2014 at 3:42PM

Absolutely!

Facebook is now an ad platform. Period. The social aspects that made the platform popular are no longer available to everyone. Facebook apologists do not seem to value user choice. Algorithms are deciding who sees what posts for users who have made choices to see certain content. Facebook ignores them in favor of revenue to satisfy their shareholders.

Users just don't know it yet. I have done the surveys... they don't know!! When they do,... as you say... FB will regret it.

P.S. Facebook had years to create a sensible revenue model and they failed. Facebook is now at the mercy of Wall Street. This will end badly.

MeetDeniseRenee
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 6:29PM

I think the best use of a business's time (and money) on Facebook and any other social platform is not just to build up an audience there and think the job is done.  The goal should be to get them back to your properties and engage with you on your own turf.... advertise to get them off of FB and onto your site to download your whitepapers, watch your videos, sign up for your newsletter, buy a product from you, attend your conference, etc.  Facebook et al should be like a "bar:" you go there to meet and greet and when you find someone you're interested in, you get them out of the noisy environment to have a more meaningful conversation in a quieter space.  Ultimately, that conversation could - and in a business sense should - be the start of a long and beautiful relationship.

krisdeleon
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 7:55PM

I don't get why businesses are complaining to pay for Facebook. If you know the average liftime value of your customer, then you'll know how much you can spend to acquire that new customer. For example, if a new customer is worth $100 (profit) over his lifetime, you could spend up to $99 on acquiring that customer.

Let's say that you pay $50 to boost a post, and that post reaches 1000 people. Out of that 1000, 100 become qualified leads by subscribing to your mailing list. If only one of those leads becomes a customer, then you spent $50 on acquiring that customer. That would make you $50 profit over that customer's lifetime with your business. And this doesn't even include the brand awareness value your company receives from your promoted post.

That's why it's important to track, measure and optimize performance of your Facebook ads, and have clear goals in mind when running Facebook ads. Then you can compare these results to your other channels, like radio, print, TV, digital, etc. and see which is most effective in reaching your target audience.

SueCockburn
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 7:59PM

Tara, good article. We've become used to thinking of social media as free, and Facebook may be the biggest target for our frustration right now but the other networks are following suit. Yes, social media was free in the beginning - kind of like a lost leader, to lure in business. Now social media has, to some extent, a captive business audience. We've seen the potential and the value to building brand name recognition in particular.

While I'm not keen to pay Facebook to promote my posts, I understand the reality. They were set up as a business, a big business, not a charity. This has (likely) been a part of their strategy since day one. And they have been slowly, over the past few years, getting us ready for the change by slowly making it more difficult to get into the Facebook news feed and in front of ffans without paying. There has pretty much always been a cost to attract new fans, at least those not somehow connected to someone to us or our fans in some way.

At this time, the cost is pretty small to get in front of a few thousand or more people in a localized area to hlep build brand name recognition. Larger companies of course need to get in front of more than a few thousand and will incur the larger cost of doing this.

All this to say, while I'd rather Facebook didn't charge to get my business in front of fans, the reality is all social media networks are going this way. Five years from now we may be thinking of these as the glory days of social media, once the other networks begin to follow suit more obviously.

adrianspeyer
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 8:30PM

I am suprised not one of the solutions offered was building your own branded community.There are many community solutions available that makes it easy for users to sign up with their current Facebook credentials and even share back to Facebook, while the data and contact info is still owned by the brand. If you are concerned about paying to contact fans or fear another social network could go the same way, it may be time to explore ways to get you and your community onto a platform you can control.  ( Full disclsoure: I work for Vanilla Forums, a community platform that offers this type of solution).

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 7:40PM

The problem there is that the consumer is on facebook and wants to use facebook and do as much as possible without leaving facebook. They aren't interested in jumping around to 100 different branded community sites. This is why we need to interact with consumers where they already are/want to be.

Wollie
Posted on March 31st 2014 at 6:51PM

Hi AK Stout... You Know there are solutions where you can run a fully functional website on your facebook fanpage.... Using a blog platform like wordpress and Facebook API...This allows you to and your fans to stay on facebook while interacting with each other....the diffs...you control everything... Just do a google search on Facebook Fanpage intergration with a wp plugin....you should get a lot of stuff

As for the difficulty in generating targeted fans...and coting to acuier them...I am hopelesly lost...hahaha hope I helped a little...If I'm off topic sorry

Amy G
Posted on March 29th 2014 at 1:25AM

I've been trying to work through this conundrum for the last few weeks. One of the pages I manage has reach which has dropped to less than 1%.  Paying for post engagement is impossible as Facebook tells me I can't target such a small group (the page has just over 2000 fans). Boosting posts doesn't seem to help either, the minimum spend is $5 dollars, which works out to be $150 a month, not $30 - and the option is for "fans and friends of fans" - and list a "potential" audience of 100,000, so it isn't even guaranteed it's going to just my fans. The page is for a non-profit cause that is just getting started, it's pretty specific, and unlike a product, is unlikely to appeal to people who haven't directly friended it - meaning boosting reach is simply hurting engagement levels.

The company already pays $100 a month for page likes, but adding another $150 a month really isn't an option for a not for profit.They, and I, aren't opposed to paying to make Facebook work, but it seems that paying Facebook money is simply lining their pockets and not actually giving us anything for the money!

I'm at a loss as to what to do - other than declare my job obsolete - Google+ doesn't have enough of a following in Australia to make it a viable alternative.

akstout18
Posted on March 30th 2014 at 7:37PM

Hi Amy,

While it is true that the minimum you can boost a post shows $5, you can pause it at any time... so if you can remember to check on it, you can stop it at around $1 (or any amount of your choosing). Perhaps since Page 'Likes' won't matter if no one sees your posts... the budget for 'Likes' could be reallocated to boosted posts. Instead of using the option to post to friends and fans... maybe the 2nd option would be better for you where you can target specific demographics and interests.... this could be similar to the targeting you are already doing for Page Likes.

John Harris
Posted on April 1st 2014 at 6:14PM

Amy,

First step is to stop paying for your likes. Second step is to purge the artificial likes you just paid for. Here is why: These likes take a portion of your organic reach that is equal the to portion they consume as likes. So if they are half of your likes, they in theory are getting half of your reach. Paid like accounts are rarely ever monitored so your message is not seen by those. Paid likes are rarely ever by your target audience, so even if your message is somehow seen, it's by those who matter.

Purge your artificially created likes and use the money you were spending to bump up your exposure to your real audience. Doing both steps will maximize your organic reach and reduce the chances that you will pay to be sending your message to alot of backholes.

CubesCubesCubes
Posted on March 31st 2014 at 5:40AM

I absolutely welcome decreased organic reach.

Facebook is simply another ad network. Sure, it's very different from more traditional advertising channels, but it was inevitably moving down this path. If you didn't see it coming and continued to recommend your clients to invest in a 'larger audience' then you should've known better.

You're playing on someone else's playground. If you want to play by your own rules then start a website and nurture a community there.

As reaching people through social channels becomes more expensive, advertisers and marketers become more strategic and careful.

There's no free lunch guys, deal with it.

Asjohnson
Posted on March 31st 2014 at 9:19PM

Curious...we are in the apartment business and use Facebook as a means of keeping our residents informed on daily happenings in addition to occassional prospective communications. In your opinion should we walk away from Facebook if we aren't using it as a prospective tool?

Janel Lind
Posted on April 9th 2014 at 2:30AM

Amanda, your appartment business should create a "group" instead of a "page" because if you are using it to keep residents informed on happenings..this platform gives you an ideal resolution. You can be the administrator of the group and add new tenents through private email or through facebook directly. Once a person moves, it is easy to remove them from the group..PLUS groups get AWESOME organic rankings through peoples facebook feed.

mikeviral
Posted on April 2nd 2014 at 12:13AM

The REACH of paying ads and organic is so far apart.  If I spend 10 dollars for my post to reach 30k people the engagement will 40.  The same organically will be over 2k engagement.  I own a company with over 1 million fans.  We are getting killed with this new system.

barbarawickman
Posted on April 3rd 2014 at 2:20AM

Great info... thanks for all the excellent articles.

Kelly Martin
Posted on May 2nd 2014 at 6:29PM

Hi I have my own page, I run it to inspire people and for fun, its not for business and well it used to be fun but now with just over 1000+ followers and growing my reach as of this week is around 7 people. I am considering closing my page and going to google+ it is a shame that ordinary users are having to pay now.

LilyLor
Posted on May 10th 2014 at 12:29PM

My reach dropped drastically the same time as Kelly's. On 2nd May I noticed that my posts do not engage people, and then I saw that they were delivered to only 1% of my audience... And since then, that's how it is. My posts "reach" 20-30 people... I'm a small local business, having almost 3000 Likes, and I spent quite a lot of money on Facebook, and cannot understand why they stop allowing us to orgaically reach people. And the worst is that they were playing with our time and misled us. I understand they are business, that's completely fine. But wat they are doing cannot be justified with that. However, the bottom line is that there is pretty little we an do here: either stay and pay, or leave...

Jane Smith
Posted on May 12th 2014 at 2:54PM

Hello, Lily

One solution to the "problem" is to run contest using the third-party Facebook page apps. These contests will drive new fans (only ones who are really interested in your brand) and successfuly convert them into your customers. That's their purpose, though. I used megafanapps and from my experience it works. Small incentives such as direct coupons drive people to your PoS or ecommerce directly. Furthermore, you can use (or your fans can use) most of these apps on their smartphones or tablets. You only pay for a year and can use the app without any limits. For now this is maybe the best way to keep your fans on your page and, on the other hand, promote your business successfully.

Gabead1974
Posted on May 21st 2014 at 5:01PM

Hello all,

Been reading the comments below and see a lot of great input! I am "new" to Facebook when it comes to business. I opened a page and noticed right away how hard this is and nothing is worse than working hard and posting only to be invisible from the people who chose to see your post! I hate Facebook because of the algorithm they are using which equates 1-10% of people seeing your stuff! Seriously?  I don’t  mind paying to target people but here is where I do mind. I don't like buying likes! I don't think Facebook is genuinely getting the people who are interested. In fact, I think they could be fake! Every single time I put an ad up for likes, I get tons from the Philippines which makes me very suspicious! Also, why should we pay for likes then have to pay again to have those likes you already pay for to see what you have to offer?! Complete rip off! If Facebook would at least raise the percentage of views to at least 30-40%, I would almost dump my wallet out to pay for the rest! Another unfair advantage is for the small businesses that just got started; there have been other businesses that have been around forever. Yes they got hit hard too, but the fact remains they still have an advantage because at the end of the day they still have a huge following they never had to pay for. So a new business comes in and totally has to do everything from scratch by paying or seeking out people to attract them to your page. I am all for companies making money, but the way Facebook is doing it is not fair at all.

Karen Woods Ashley
Posted on May 29th 2014 at 10:50PM

I understand Facebook is a business and, as such, must generate income. However, my Facebook recipe page does not make income, was not intended to do so. I have over 10,000 "likes" in just about 4 months since the page's inception - I do not charge anyone to see my page, it generates no income ... why should I have to pay fees in order for my fans to see my posts?

Andrew Heaberlin
Posted on May 30th 2014 at 6:20PM

The issue at hand is simple:

I do not mind paying to boost a post to get a further reach.

I do however mind having to pay for those new fans that I already paid for to see my posts.

I have a food/restaurant blog ..and unless I pay to boost my post..only 8 people out of 700 fans will see my post.

That's garbage and a ripoff

If you like a page. .you should be able to see updates and new posts..so it's also unfair to your fans.

I do understand the need to monetize and make money..but how they are going about it is corrupt.

As of yesterday..I could not even share my page.  It just asks if I want to share my page on my page posting as my page??

What scam is that?

As of right now I can still copy and paste my reviews on my personal page...but I have far less people there..because it's personal....but I'm sure FB is working to cancel that too.

Perhaps FB will go the way of MySpace and G+ will be the new thing. I like G+ and use it as well...but as has been said..not enough people yet...but if FB continues on...that could change real soon.

Little Sprouts NZ
Posted on May 31st 2014 at 7:25AM

For us this is a terrible shame.  We give away life-changing packs of baby items for free to families in real need.  We made a commitment when we started to only spending donated funds on baby items.  We want every cent to go to where it's needed.  Even our boxes and our printing etc is donated!  And the primary way we have let families and businesses know about us is via Facebook.  As a user when I liked a page I thought I would get the news from that page, and I am sure that most (non business) users would think the same.  It's a shame there isn't an exception for registered charitable trusts like ours, though I can see the difficulty in try to verify that.

Ehtesham Shaikh
Posted on June 11th 2014 at 12:25PM

You guys think Facebook is doing such crappy think in order to make money out of it?

Is he bankrupt or can’t make any profit without ads?

I think those questions are crap and should be dump to the bin.

For me it's an unexpected and unpredicted problem that Facebook is facing therefore hence it affects businesses.

Let me explain you with the help of example.

I normally spend approximately 30 minutes on Facebook from the day I created my account. Earlier I like 4-5 pages but now there is no limit to it, here the time is same but the feeds are much more then it was earlier.

Therefore Facebook shows those feeds which users are interested in as per their interest.

Check out the statement or answers to those problem by Brian Boland https://www.facebook.com/business/news/Organic-Reach-on-Facebook

Cohin Bellara
Posted on June 11th 2014 at 12:35PM

If you see it based on a Marketing Strategy it makes a Lot of sense.If i have Data over 8M People what do i do with it all,very Simple i make use of it by selling it to legitimate business with a 50-50 chance of the date actually being feasible for the business one is into.

Facebook Uses Facebook Ads to make things easy for them selves and dumps a million data in our face and says here you go,now choose what you like and let them see what you want them to see,if your lucky they might help your business.

The Fact is how does Facebook  take the "Horse to the Water".Simple start decreasing your FB Fan Page likes and Show a New Template with a nice Tab That will help you Build You Audience.So i Guess thier Algorithm of Creating Oragnic Fans was Wrong and Now we Pay for it.Nice...........Ahhhh...Facebook Forgot to mention the Pages we all made was just to Lure us into thier trap.

Facebook FAQ on Facebook Pages

Step 1:Create a Facebook Page

Step 2:Leave the Rest to us to use to make money out of you

So what Choice do you have now you had a Business Page with  2000 Fans and now 500.

So What you gonna do Brothaa!!!

Build Audience. ;)