Welcome to the 100th episode of All The Social Ladies podcast. This week's special episode features a roundtable discussion with Carrie Kerpen and her Likeable Media, Social Ladies.
On This Podcast:
Welcome to the 100th episode of All The Social Ladies.This week's special episode features a roundtable discussion with Carrie Kerpen and her Likeable Media social ladies.
- How Carrie Became an Entrepreneur
- The Culture At Likeable Media
- Balancing Motherhood and Entrepreneurship
What is it about social media that made you want to launch a social media agency versus a typical advertising agency?
"We actually started as a word-of-mouth agency, creating buzz around different kinds of events. In fact, our original name was "The K Buzz". This was at the advent of social media becoming mainstream. Once Facebook opened up to the college market, we saw that social media was going to become the fastest form of word of mouth. It was about the fundamental belief that word of mouth can really drive a business forward - or kill it - and so we knew that social media was going to be the real driving force behind that. We wanted to do what was right for companies to accelerate their businesses forward. Social media allows those businesses to be their truest form of self."
How did you create the culture at Likeable?
"It started from the top, in that we were very high energy and passionate. If you look at the core values of our organization, that's really whom we are. We're driven, we're passionate, we're accountable, and we're likeable. This kind of culture doesn't just come from the top down; it also comes from the bottom up. Our team makes the culture, and that's why it's authentic, true, and constantly evolving over time. Set the example that you want it to be and live that example... but remember that you can't force culture."
How do you balance motherhood and being an entrepreneur?
"It's hard. You have to realize that you are going to mess up... a lot. But that's OK. Over time you'll get your swing right and do the best you can. It's about knowing what you want in terms of time and then getting the support you need. Everyone has their own definition of balance, and that's their choice. I wanted good enough childcare that I could go to work without feeling guilt and the ability to make my own hours. The little things like putting my kids on the school bus or helping out with a carpool every so often are what's important. Quantity is important; it's not just quality. We, as women, supporting one another through that quest is very important."
- "As women, it's so important that we're able to take control of our time. This is one of the key reasons I became an entrepreneur."
- "Put a stake in the ground and go with your ideas. Choose wisely but be prepared that some of them will fail. That's OK though, because it actually makes you better in life."
- "Having a mentor is so important. This should always be someone who is invested in your career as much as you are."
- Company Website: likeable.com
- Personal Twitter: @carriekerpen
- Company Twitter: @likeablemedia
- Personal LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carriekerpen
- Company LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/likeable_244262
Enjoy, and check back here for more episodes of the All The Social Ladies podcast on Social Media Today.