I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Addie Hall who is the Marketing Communications Manager for CSX. CSX is a private railway system and Fortune 250 company. They transport tonnes of cargo every day and are a huge indicator for the economy. The question is, how do you take a bigger, broader concept that you're not technically marketing to the consumer and make it interesting on social? Today, you'll hear from Addie about how they do just that. Take a listen below.
On This Podcast:
- The story of Addie's Career and how she got to where she is today
- CSX and social media
- Greatest challenges for CSX in social
Tell us about CSX and your customer base
"We're a private Class 1 railroad throughout the East Coast. We move everything from rock, lumbar and metal to orange juice. It's a 200 year old industry, but where we are today is so different. We use so much technology and have a great message about sustainability. It's because of this technology that we can now move freight more efficiently and in a much greener way."
Who is CSX's target on social and what constitutes success on a platform?
"As a publicly held company with a presence in a lot of communities, we target and engage potential and current customers or employees, investors and community citizens - those people that have an interest in infrastructure projects and the environmental impact of freight moving through their areas. Followership is our primary metric. We're routed in many different communities and markets - the more people we can communicate with, the better. We strive to be a good neighbor and corporate citizen.
- "In all of my career shifts, I've been building from the foundation of the birth of the internet, all the way through to where we are now with social media"
- "When you're a non-consumer facing brand or a heavily regulated brand working in social, you have to be able to justify what you're doing"
- "We want all of our content to demonstrate our position as a safe and credible partner in the industry"
- Company Website: https://www.csx.com/
- Company Twitter: @CSX
- Personal LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/addiehall
- Company LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/csx-transportation
Enjoy, and check back here for more episodes of the All The Social Ladies podcast on Social Media Today.