Recently, I had the incredible opportunity to talk to Linda Boff, the Chief Marketing Officer for GE. In this episode, you'll hear not only about GE's approach to social but also about Linda's career. Linda tells her amazing story - about never doing the same thing twice, always building on your career and always growing and pushing forward. Learn how she navigated her way through a corporation and find out about what makes GE's social media tick.
In This Podcast:
- The story of Linda's career
- Why GE is in social media and their approach to it
- GE's biggest challenge in social
What does it mean to work for a digital industrial company?
"GE is a 125 year start-up. We have this great history of science, technology and invention. We're a company, as well as a brand that's always in motion. Our portfolio over the last five years has really changed to reflect a focus on industry; particularly transportation, health and energy. We couple this with data and analytics, and use this information to drive outcomes for our customers. This is our next big journey and it really is the most important one the company has ever been on."
How did you navigate your way through such a large corporation to get to where you are today as Chief Marketing Officer?
"You have to navigate everyday and also for the long-term. The best thing you can do to navigate your career is to think about how you can work better than the day before. Think about how you can drive towards the goals of the company, the team and yourself - what do you want to achieve? None of us are able to succeed alone - be the best you and be a great partner because your peers are the ones that promote you."
- "My career stemmed from a deep interest in all things communication and I was motivated by passion and learning. My advice is, find something you're really interested in, ask a lot of questions and try not to do the same thing twice"
- "We have deep domain knowledge in the industries. How do we use this to help companies that look like us to be more predictive in what they do and drive better outcomes"
- "We approach marketing as a mirror for what our business is about-- we're about innovation and we're about what's next.
- Company Website: http://www.ge.com/http://www.ge.com/
- Personal Twitter: @lindaboff
- Company Twitter: @generalelectric
- Personal LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lindaboff
- Company LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/ge
Enjoy, and check back here for more episodes of the All the Social Ladies podcast on Social Media Today.