For many SEO and online marketing campaigns, a major stumbling block is when clients have unrealistic expectations regarding the outcome of their campaigns. Most SEO experts are responsible for helping the client understand all areas of the campaign to manage their expectations even before the real work begins.
While many clients may be surprised to hear this, SEO clients also have responsibilities that they need to meet in order to help their SEO company to get things done effectively and consistently. Together, the client and SEO expert can work to create outstanding results.
Managing Client Expectations for Online Marketing
The following points should be presented to clients to ensure that they do not expect unrealistic goals for online marketing campaigns:
- SEO agencies are not able to guarantee top rankings - however they can project to realistic results that can be achieved. Often, these results will not meet client expectations, especially when the client is in a highly competitive industry with high keyword competition.
- SEO is not a quick fix or 'get instant traffic' approach. Instead, it is a long-term investment needing on-going work by the client and SEO expert.
- SEO is largely a behind the scenes service, with no tangible results. Often, it focuses on coding in websites, linking and other 'invisible' things. Clients should be open to feedback and advice to explain progress.
The Client's Responsibility
For clients, there are certain responsibilities that should be kept in mind when outsourcing online marketing or SEO campaigns to a professional company. These include the following:
1. Keyword Research and Selection
Keywords that are researched and selected form the basis of your entire SEO and online marketing campaigns. Clients may often try to force their SEO company into using generic industry keywords that will not get the results they want. While client input is important, SEO experts know their job better than anyone else - this is what they are paid to do.
2. Implementing recommended changes
Clients will often need changes to be done the website structure, which will be requested by the SEO expert. Often, these have to be implemented by the client themselves. Taking a long time to do this will only harm your campaigns, taking longer to reach those much-needed results.
3. Content Creation and Addition
Many clients do not fully understand how important content is on a website. Aside from text to code ratio, well-written, unique content needs to be added to the website often to assist rankings. Often, your SEO agency will have copywriters on board to assist with content, but clients still need to do their bit by updating the company blog or news section.
4. Micromanaging your SEO
Trying to second guess your SEO agency's advice is never a good move. Asking questions is great, but trying to understand every detail of the campaign will decrease your productivity and also hamper your campaign's success. Let your SEO experts focus on their job so that they can get on with things.
5. Social Media Management
Clients who did not request a complete social marketing campaign can't assume that their SEO company will handle all aspects of their social presence. This is a full time job, needing consistent energy and time. While your SEO company can get you set up, you will need to consider a specific social marketing plan in order to have your social presence managed online.
Working together, both the client and the online marketing agency will be able to communicate and strive for the best results. This is why it is important to choose carefully when hiring an SEO agency to ensure that they are the right agency for the job.
- The Role of a Logo Design in Social Media Marketing
- SEO Marketing by Digital Third Coast
- Online Profits - Learn Online Marketing from Top Internet Marketers & Bloggers