Avoid These SEO Traps During Conversion Rate Optimization
It's easy for SEO specialists and internet marketers to get caught up in analytic data. After all, analytic data is the bread and butter of online marketing. But without a clear way to track conversion rates and returns, it's all too common for internet marketing campaigns to quickly turn into Frankenstein-like creations. It's here where some of the most common SEO traps happen, especially during conversion rate optimization. The best strategy looks at the whole picture while also paying attention to the details. There isn't an all-in-one guide that shows you everything about tracking conversion rates, but there are a plenty of resources out there that combine to form a good plan of attack.
Simple Mistakes and Small Errors Can Be Costly
A/B testing is simple. However, you have to remain especially cognizant of what is going on with all pages at all times. It is easy to accidentally post duplicate content when testing which content-based marketing strategy works best and get slammed as a result. Similarly, it's just as easy to rank the wrong page. When tracking conversion rates, it is absolutely essential not to disrupt other operations. In a very common and ironic occurrence, the act of tracking and optimizing conversion rates can reduce conversion rates.
Top Mistakes Even Experts Make
It's easy to get caught in a trap when optimizing conversion rates. Some of the top mistakes made by experts are surprising and goes to show that even the best aren't always on their game.
· Failure to recognize lots of duplicate content
· Failure to notice accidentally removing pages
· Failure to choose between more sales and more consistent sales
· Failure to assess budgetary restraints and anticipated ROI
· Failure to account for end user behavior
· Failure to set and follow specific goals throughout the duration of the process
Take Time Now for Greater Returns Later
Instead of scrambling to track rates as quickly as possible, take extra time to ensure that nothing will be worse off during the process. Similarly, optimizing conversion rates needs to be a methodical process. In this case, slow and steady does win the race. When determining which keyword strategy works best, it is important to only deviate slightly from something that already works. Think about optimization in terms of updating the user experience, not tearing it down and rebuilding it from scratch.
Start With a Linear Progression
Before tracking conversion rates and ROI, it is important to not interrupt what is already working. Time cannot stall for the sake of big data analysis. Streamline the process, and follow a few basic steps.
1. Consider your overall marketing and sales strategies.
2. Set a goal of what you want to accomplish.
3. Identify metrics that strongly correlate with that goal.
4. Conduct A/B testing thoughtfully.
5. Be cognizant of duplicate content during the process.
6. Rank the correct pages.
Key Takeaways for Conversion Rate Optimization and SEO
Conversion rate optimization doesn't have to happen overnight. This isn't something that occurs in a flash. Take the time required to develop a sound strategy so that way you can avoid common pitfalls. As noted, it's important to think about how conversion rate optimization will benefit an entire marketing campaign, not just standalone conversion rates. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
· Set goals and follow them.
· Create a budget and follow it.
· Develop a strategy that will not interfere with site operations.
· Be cognizant about simple and costly errors such as omitting a page or posting duplicate content.
Remember, it's not enough to look at the individual components but you must also consider the whole picture for an effective SEO strategy.
Follow Chris Marentis on Twitter