Multi-task much? A recent study conducted by Microsoft Corporation found that the average human now has a shorter attention span than a goldfish. A goldfish can focus for nine seconds; people are down to a mere eight seconds. With so much information coming at us from screens of all sizes, this news shouldn't surprise us. So, what exactly does this mean for marketers? One thing it means is that brands must strive to fully understand their readers when creating and/or sharing content. If not, their readers will quickly seek out - and find - other brands that offer them the content they prefer. Column Five's infographic for Marketo, explains why publishing "bite-sized," or "snackable" content is a popular (and effective) content marketing strategy.
Snackable Content: The Benefits
What are the main benefits for brands that create and publish snackable content for on-the-go consumption? In a nutshell, their readers can see it, scan it, and quickly share it. More people are consuming content on their mobile devices, and they spend 60% of their time on social media. As screens become smaller and attention spans get shorter, brands must focus on feeding their audience the bite-sized content they crave.
Consider adding the following bite-sized content ideas to boost your brand's content and social media marketing:
- Regram/Retweet/Repost snackable content to save time and promote engagement.
- Keep content fresh by using content surrounding current events, national holidays, and major sports events.
- Use bite-sized content as a way to promote larger campaigns, giveaways, online events, etc.
- When appropriate, serve "extra light" bites to your audience, such as GIFs, memes, and inspirational quotes.
Without a doubt, providing bite-sized content can satisfy your readers' cravings and keep them coming back for more. Check out this infographic to learn more about successfully creating content for mobile audiences.
* This article first appeared on DashBurst Magazine and is being republished with permission.