Nowadays, every person in the world would like to have their own five minutes of fame. People try to achieve this in various ways. Some come up with their personal videos, posting it with the hope that it becomes viral. Others do it by uploading hundreds of pictures of self vanity. Some lucky few get it by managing to catch a scoop and causing a wildfire of gossip on someone famous. The possibilities are endless. The online realm has become a place for fame-seeking people.
Most people would like to become stars overnight, and usually they're only after the title of becoming famous. To become a household name, one has to be interesting, useful and, well, famous. To increase your aspiring star awareness, listed below are some practical benefits of being well-known in social networking sites:
- You can relay and share information faster. People with a following of more than a thousand followers have the benefit of people believing in almost everything they say. Likes and Shares can rack up with every post whether it be for a charitable cause, or just for laughs.
- You have an advantage in inviting people. When an upcoming event lacks guest attendance, the event organizers usually employ the help of someone famous to promote the event and rack up more attendees.
- You get to have the privilege to talk to other stars. Whether it's for a joint effort or project, as long as two stars work together, for better or worse, this move can add more members to the fan base.
- You can easily promote your own products or services. One upload of a personal work, say a photo essay, a pop song or anything under the sun, a steady following of fans can collect a lot of Likes and Shares, spreading the word like wildfire.
- You will have people who would actually pay attention to hear, read and watch you. They would find time to digest whatever content you have shared because in their eyes you are believable. Be very careful though: becoming overtly reckless can alienate your fans and friends.
So now you know some of the real life benefits of becoming interesting and useful to others. To give yourself a popularity boost, while maintaining your credibility and reputation, here are ten tips for a popular profile:
- Reconnect with your school.
We've spent most of our lives in school, making it a place chockfull of memories. Tap this potential network of people and reach out to old friends.
- Connect with communities.
Search and join an online community sharing the same interests with you. Participate in their activities, document it, save it and share it. Meet and greet your community, making sure to keep your communication open. After a while, you might find yourself getting good referrals from your community.
- Tap your family members.
One major advantage of getting your family members to help out is that they will push boundaries just to support you. If you are an aspiring star, do your research to add up your distant relatives. Doing so may just connect you to a network you aren't aware of, especially those of a relative's who is living in another country. If your content catches on, consider it an expansion of your territory. More relatives, more fun!
- Clean up all your public profiles.
Make sure all your public profiles portray who you want to be seen as. Public figures have reputations to take care of, and it's your job to fix yours. Do a quick profiling of your name to see what other people are finding out about you when they search for you online. Remove any unwanted pictures of you in compromising situations (i.e. getting drunk, being pranked) from the profiles you can control. Delete your one sided hate posts. Your profile should be a dignified personal resume, and not an online space where people can see how you've been made fun of.
- Do a profile makeover.
After the cleanup, invest time in creating a more attractive profile. Get rid of your low resolution pictures taken in bad taste. Photos in HD (high definition) are very eye-catching and can be very viral if taken well. Express yourself by conceptualizing photo shoots. People can sense if you're just being vain. Keep a substantial amount of photos and upload one by one. Celebs upload only the pictures that spoke the most meaning to them. People will raise their brows and would find it tiring browsing through 1,000 pictures of you doing the same poses.
- Edit your information.
Most people don't realize the power of the Information Page. They take it for granted or even treat it as a joke. Fixing your Information Page will add more to your credibility since people can see that your connections are legit. Edit your information and tell the world which university you've attended, which seminars you have participated in, and which parties you go to. To become interesting, you should give your fans a hint where to find you, and where you've been involved in.
- Socialize, socialize, socialize.
Maintain a steady flow of communication with new friends or fans. Keep them updated with your latest activity and answer comments if you can. Even a response can touch the lives of others, especially those who admire you the most.
- Help out whenever you can.
Troubles in life can be dealt with easier as long as we help one another. During times of calamity, relaying information about donations and medical help for victims is vital in charitable causes. Information sent via Twitter and Facebook about missing people, even pets, may help in increasing your credibility and putting your image in a positive light.
- Become an inspiration.
Sharing wisdom and knowledge spoken beautifully can evoke intimate feelings of connection your followers can relate to. Whether it be personal advice on how to handle rejection or defeat, or not losing your principles in spite of the blinding light of fame, these self help tips can help people way more than you could imagine.
- Set an example and live by your words.
By becoming the best you want to be and actually making something out of it, whether by composing a pop song or inventing something useful, people will never stop paying attention. They would also want to be like you since they can see themselves in you. You are famous and you are immensely talented. Keep up the good work and be a constant example and reminder that hard work pays off.
There is, however, a fine line between online life and real life. If you aspire to become a celebrity, do be careful as not all attention seeking strategies will be good for your reputation especially in real life.
(social media star / shutterstock)