Chad Mitchell is Senior Director of Digital Communications at Walmart. Chad spent his early career in politics in the Washington D.C. area. He transferred his communication and strategic thinking skills to serve the largest company in the world. With over 11,000 stores located in 28 countries across the globe there are plenty of stories to tell on their blog, which is newly titled Walmart Today. In this episode of the Social Business Engine podcast you'll discover the process Chad and his team went through to launch the new blog and the role it plays in Walmart's digital communication strategy.
In an effort to express Walmart's mission, saving people money, so that they can live better, Chad created a "digital newsroom" to tell the Walmart story online. You'll hear about the challenges Chad and his team encounter with the communication strategy at the largest retailer in the world. And, you can consider how you might apply elements of their approach to your brand's digital communication strategy.
On This Episode You'll Discover:
- What's entailed in Chad's job as Director of Digital Communications at the largest company in the world.
- What's involved in maintaining Walmart's corporate website.
- How Chad's team spent months conducting research on their audience before re-launching their new blog Walmart Today.
- The three guiding principles in Walmart Today's approach to story telling.
- The A/B testing Chad's team did to identify the best types of content to share.
- How the categories on Walmart Today were developed from their collected data.
- The types of content shared on Walmart Today.
- How the content factory at Walmart Today originally consisted of only three people, but has grown to 10 people.
- That Walmart has agency talent onsite in the digital newsroom to stay close to the team for rapid execution of stories.
- How storytelling through Walmart Today aligns with Walmart's mission.
- How Chad uses Coca-Cola as a benchmark for Walmart's digital communication strategy.
Featured On This Episode: