To handle resistance to your ideas and influence, you will first need to pinpoint exactly why there is an objection. Typically, people object or resist because they:
• Don't fully understand your proposal
• Misunderstand it
• Don't feel a need to go ahead
• Don't recognise the benefits and advantages
• Don't believe your claims
• Are happy to remain as they are
• Genuinely need time to think things through
• Don't trust you
• Display general inertia
What Type Of Resistance?
Objections and resistance usually come in three identifiable forms:
A condition is a genuine, non-negotiable reason why someone can't go ahead or agree to your proposal (eg: company policy, legal reasons, a contractual obligation).
An excuse or a put-off, is usually made because people are not convinced of the benefits of your ideas. Excuses cannot be answered - conviction is the only solution.
A real objection can include lack of money or resources, time constraints, happiness with the status quo.
Strategies & Tactics
Resistance can be very frustrating. You are anxious to get on with things and it is hard to see why others are stonewalling. This is the moment to back off and take stock.
• Listen carefully to what they are saying to you.
• Watch their body language - does it contain any hidden messages?
• Step into their shoes; try to see things from their point of view.
• Consider what would have to happen for you to be convinced?
• Plan your responses carefully.
• Take time to construct carefully thought through responses.
• Check that you have provided acceptable responses to doubts and fears.
• Seek areas of agreement and stress them, minimise areas of disagreement.
Categories Of Resistance
It is not enough to know whether people are for or against you and your ideas and proposals. The people you want to influence can be divided into nine categories and you can learn more about each category here
There are a considerable number of Top Sales Experts presenting over at Business Expert Webinars this week - here is the full list:(Just click on the banner at the bottom for full details)
Business Development for Woman Lawyers - Innovative Strategies
8/4/08 10:00am EASTERN TIME
Presented by Joan Paul
HR Can Succeed As Internal Consultants
Topic: Human Resources
8/4/08 1:00pm EASTERN TIME
Presented by Maureen Blandford
How to Out Perform & Outlast the Competition
8/5/08 11:30am EASTERN TIME
Presented by Cheryl Clausen
The Communication Enigma - Filling the Generation Gap
Topic: Business Communication
8/6/08 2:30pm EASTERN TIME
Presented by Drew Stevens
Winning in the 9th Inning
8/6/08 4:00pm EASTERN TIME
Presented by Terri Dunevant
Crucial Points to Succeed in Sales
8/7/08 4:00pm EASTERN TIME
Presented by Alen Majer
Tomorrow: The delightful Debbie Fay, is my guest on The JF Guest Author Spot
Link to original post