Laurie Meacham, Manager of Customer Commitment and Social Media at JetBlue Airways, has to live up to a tough standard which is immortalized in JetBlue's mission statement: To Inspire Humanity. But she and her social care team - called crewmembers - are doing just that, working 24/7 to respond to passengers with a goal of just a 10-minute response time. Their work goes beyond customer service, answering all sorts of questions about planes, airports, and other aeronautical trivia. "It's all part of delivering an amazing customer experience," she says.
Laurie took time out of her busy schedule to speak with me and Dan Moriarty for Episode 2 of the "Focus on Customer Service" Podcast. Brands must be nominated by one of their own customers using the hashtag #FOCS, and JetBlue was nominated by Mark Gillard.
Some of the most quotable moments of this episode include:
- "If we're doing it right, any interaction you have with a JetBlue crewmember will be very similar... our goal is to deliver a consistent experience."
- "Our goal is to always know the answer or be able to find the answer."
- "We've really infused our brand's personality through social and that's what differentiates us."
- "We want you to be able to see who JetBlue is from looking through the @JetBlue Twitter feed."
- "Listen to your customers... and be true to YOUR brand."
Here are the highlights of Episode 2 and where to find them:
(2:05) JetBlue's approach to customer service, and the role it plays within the company
(3:13) How JetBlue's culture of service translates to social media
(4:16) Laurie's role and the team structure, plus what makes a good social care "crewmember"
(7:10) How Laurie trains the team and educates them about JetBlue
(8:33) Why the airline industry just might be social media's "sweet spot" and what JetBlue does to differentiate itself in a crowded space
(12:28) Response time expectations
(14:28) Connecting social media to a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system
(16:22) Laurie's advice for those starting out in social care
(17:26) A memorable social media encounter with a passenger, which you won't want to miss!
(22:02) What Laurie likes to tweet about when she's not at work
To nominate other brands to be featured on the Focus on Customer Service podcast, please use the hashtag #FOCS.