It is no secret that the Internet is bursting at the seams - translation: there are more websites competing for the attention of your target audiences. As a website owner, you can do either one of these two things: One, twiddle your thumbs and hope that your target audiences find you without having to worry about what an SEO meta description is. Or, you can employ simple search engine optimization (SEO) strategies to make your website receive more visitors. Believe it or not, but writing the simple meta description is one of the ways in which you can help increase click-throughs to your website. Think about it, there is really no point of having a website if no one will visit it.
Meta descriptions are several meta tags that every webpage has (or should have). Although meta descriptions do not play a direct part in helping to boost search engine rankings (this is one of the reasons why it is overlooked), but meta descriptions are very vital in helping to drive traffic to websites by simply maintaining a high click-through rate from search results.
Most times, the meta descriptions actually form the volume of your search results - these descriptions actually serve as your website's ad copy. That is why you need to make sure that your meta description is very compelling - compelling enough to make target audiences want to click through. People will only click -through to your website if they believe that the content is relevant them.
What Makes Meta Descriptions and Titles So Important?
If you want to increase your website's traffic volume, then you will need to use meta descriptions. You can count on having a higher click-through rate and better website traffic if you just use a good meta description.
Apart from boosting traffic to your website, you can also use meta descriptions to give target audiences a glimpse of your unique writing style. For instance, if you like to create content that is interesting, witty and informal, you can use the magic of meta description to reflect this. Although, this does not apply to every single website; for instance, if your website caters to the weight-loss conscious reader, then your meta descriptions should maybe focus more on the best weight-loss remedies and products instead of witty comments. If your website provides "how to" information for Forex investors, then it may be a great idea to point out precisely how the website content can help your target readers - i.e. "How to Make $10,000 in 7 Trades!"
10 Good Tips on Writing Compelling Meta Descriptions
1. Provide the Solution to a Problem. People typically go online to find a solution to a problem, so your meta description should be able to address the problems that your target audience is seeking help for. A good example of a meta description that solves problems is "Lose 20lbs in 7 days without surgery or Get your Money Back!"
See how good quality meta description include the following qualities:
Lose 20lbs in 7 days. ENTICEMENT
Without surgery. PERTINENT INFORMATION
Or get your money back. ASSURANCE
2. Include Capitals. You are not allowed to use capital letters in Google Adwords' paid ads. But, you can use it in moderation when writing meta descriptions. The great thing about using capitalization is that it catches the eye and makes search listings stand out on Google.
3. Call to Action. For those selling products and/or services, it is always better to end meta descriptions with a call to action. You need to understand that this is your ad and your opportunity to attract customers, so use it well or else, you could lose potential customers to the competition.
4. Make Use of Numbers. If you need to use numbers in your meta description, use them! Numbers help make your descriptions standout, and numbers take less space than words. For example, Lose 20lbs in 7 days, Top 10 Weight-loss Remedies.
5. Include Vital Facts. In your line of business, do your target audiences regard size, color, model number, or next-day-delivery as important? If they do, then ensure that you include the most vital fact(s) concisely within the meta description.
6. Use a Suitable and Inviting Tone. Ensure that you write in a style that you consider suitable. If psychiatrists make you really nervous, you will be more likely to visit the website of a psychiatrist from a search engine result if the tone was assuring, friendly and welcoming.
7. Find Your Edge and Milk It! Find out what makes you stand out from the competition? Even if it means namedropping - for instance, as used by Beyonce Knowles....this could compel many people to click through to your website in a flash. You have to understand that the internet has changed drastically, and you will need to employ every trick in the book to get your website noticed. Unless you are content with watching your website fade into oblivion.
8. Use Words Wisely. It is way too easy to undersell yourself or your webpage content online. Use superlatives when describing the products or services you provide. "See Our Cutting-Edge Home Appliances!" is way better than "We Provide an Array of Home Appliances for Your Home". If you're not sure how to do it, hire an expert who knows all about copywriting for SEO AND creating engaging content.
9. Using Less than 155 Characters is Good. If you use less than 155 characters (this includes spacing), you will not risk your text getting cut short on search results.
10. Use Great Format. It makes perfect sense to start with a compelling description, but you will need great content convince the reader to stay on your site and even recommend it to others. Ensure you include a call to action in your content - you will be shocked to find that a lot of website owners actually forget all about the call to action bit when posting content on their website. Never include information that will become outdated in your meta description, unless you have plans to keep updating your meta descriptions every time. Try as much as possible to stay away from writing descriptions such as "Get The newest 2011 Dior Summer Bag." Unless it's 2011, this type of description will just force the visitor to avoid clicking through to your website.