Aside from game invitations, what is the one thing almost nobody likes with the world's largest social media network? The proverbial political or cause-du jour rant on Facebook, of course, especially these days with the US election cycle in full swing and recent headlines. The constant vitriol spewing from our newsfeeds is shocking some days.
According to a Mashable poll, during the 2012 election cycle 78.3 percent of respondents either unfriended or contemplated unfriending someone due to their political commentary. The social giant is supposed to be a platform for friends and family, right? The fact is that it's turned into the default location for political and civic conversation and most people don't like it.
Social Media Innovation
As a result, entrepreneur, Mark LaFay, has come up with an innovative solution to clean up our newsfeeds while simultaneously providing the 40 percent of Facebook users who like to discuss politics a safe place to do so. Safe place as in where grandma and the boss won't see it with disapproving eyes.
He created Roust, the world's first social media network built for individuals to exclusively share political, religious and civic discourse. It's a community for connecting people to discuss tough topics.
. . . Roust (is) the only social network that is as valuable to those who use it as those who don't.
- The Daily Dot
Given today's media climate, Roust couldn't have come along at a better time. In fact, it's supposed to "officially" launch out of beta and to the general public on Wednesday, December, 16th. Registration is free and available now.
But we don't need another social network, do we?
According to Mark, "Nicheing" is natural. He points to dating sites over time that have naturally niched like:
These sites have niched because the demand was there. Roust is just another example of this, but for social media. Facebook is for connecting with our friends and family, LinkedIn is our professional resume and portfolio, Instagram is our creative outlet, and Roust is for our political and civic discourse. Together, these networks form our personal social graph and help define who we are online.
In the future, it's likely that marketers using Roust in a business capacity will be closely aligned with non-profits, NGOs, causes and/or political celebrities. However, in the short-term, it seems prime for campaigns, political pundits and politicians alike to take to Roust en masse to build their brands on this burgeoning platform.
For many, Roust is long past due. It likely could have saved many a relationship over the last few election cycles. However, it's here now. If you're one of the 40 percent that like to talk politics on Facebook, than by all means, take it to Roust. For the 60 percent that don't, save this registration link and tell the other 40 percent to take it to Roust.