I'm the CTO at Social Media Today, home of the world's best thinkers on social media.
For fifteen years, I've mashed-up content and technology to deliver great customer experiences in news, gaming, 3-D CAD, interactive television and distance learning.
A one-time writer and editor for Time Inc. and others, I made the new media leap in 1995 when I was selected to spearhead digital product development for Time-Life Books. Two years later, I was in Silicon Valley for a multi-year stint with groundbreaking consumer CAD startup Books That Work. That's where I coded my first data-driven dynamic Web sites.
In 1997 I returned to the east coast to direct online sports development for news aggregator New Century Network and later served as a product and project director for online game company Bottle Rocket. In 2000 I was brought in to the publicly traded interactive television company ACTV to direct product development on top of a massively parallel message distribution system and a browser-based operating system approach that would come to be known as AJAX. My team and our cutting edge toolkit were acquired by Harcourt Inc. in 2005, and I served as the Director of Production for all media and software in the development of a series of distance learning programs.
As a partner at Social Media Today since the company's infancy in 2008, I oversee operations, development, design and editorial strategy. Thanks to an incredible team, the company has grown from two communities to 10, and from 30,000 visits per month to 1.3 million.
When I'm not working, you can find me finger-picking a steel string guitar, or weaving through traffic on my bicycle. I live in Jersey with my wife, in a home overrun by dogs and children.
16 ARTICLES BY Mark Lazen
- Aug. 23, 2012 The 3 Lessons of RebelMouse for Startups
- Aug. 14, 2012 Facebook and Twitter-Killers No More?
- Aug. 1, 2012 Pandas, Penguins, and the Murky Line Between Black and White Hat SEO
- May 30, 2012 About the Malware Warnings Some Visitors are Seeing
- May 30, 2012 The Facebook Deathwatch: An Easy Prediction
- May 3, 2012 "Thinking Fast and Slow" for Social Business
- April 26, 2012 Right-sizing your Social Media Management Process
- April 5, 2012 Social Media Today: Demanding Credibility in Authorship
- Jan. 10, 2012 Social Media Today Partners with Tabbed.co to Power Facebook Presence
- Sept. 12, 2011 Last Chances to Register for Hands-On Social Media Training in New York, Chicago, San Francisco!
- July 16, 2011 Gigya Arrives on Social Media Today!
- March 16, 2011 Salon Gets The Energy Collective Wrong
- Nov. 15, 2010 SAP Wins AMI Partners 2010 Award for Best-in-Class Social Media Marketing on MyVenturePad
- March 4, 2010 A Clarification from Social Media Today: Zynga, Farmville, and Charitable Giving
- May 20, 2009 The Facebook Death Watch Begins
- April 16, 2009 Royal Dutch Shell Speaks Up at The Energy Collective