Last week, Instagram published the results of a commissioned study on how moms use everyone's favorite photo-sharing network. The results of Instagram's study bring clarity and valuable insight into how a very large and influential demographic are using the platform (and their mobile devices in general).
With Mother's Day just around the corner, this data comes at the perfect time to help you shape your Instagram marketing strategy for the coming weeks.
Moms on Instagram
Here are a few highlights from Instagram's study...
- On Instagram, one in four women over 18 in the US are moms.
- Of those, 93% use Instagram at least once a week, and 68% use it daily.
- The average mom checks social media 15 times a day and checks Instagram six times every day.
What Accounts Do Moms Follow on Instagram?
- Over half of moms on Instagram follow businesses.
- Moms are 5x more likely to follow accounts about cosmetics, 3x more likely to follow fashion, 2x more likely to follow hair accounts and 1.7x more likely to follow animal accounts when compared to dads.
Dads on Instagram
Dad uses Instagram about as often as Mom does. The study also included these insights regarding fathers on Instagram:
- Almost half of dads on the platform follow businesses, and of those, 69% take action from the content they see.
- Dads are 4.3x more likely to follow auto brands, 2.5x more likely to follow leisure accounts and 1.4x more likely to follow sport accounts compared to moms.
How to Target Your Instagram Audience
Instagram ads can be designed and purchased through Facebook's Power Editor, the same tool used to create Facebook ads.
Properly targeting an audience on Instagram requires research and knowledge about your audience... but you also have to just start. There's a little bit of trial and error that goes along with audience targeting. Don't wait until you feel like you've honed in on the "perfect" target audience. Continue experimenting with different audiences and remain open to further refining and tweaking them.
To begin, open up Facebook's Power Editor in the Facebook Ads platform and create your audience. Facebook offers an entire list of "mom" demographics, including "Soccer moms," "Big-city Moms," "Moms of Preschool kids," and more.