Yahoo has been in just about everyone's RSS feed lately. With the recent layoffs and resignations, they've ben getting a lot of attention and coverage.
One of the main arguments has been the fate of some of their products, mainly Delicious. I, myself, have been using Delicious to hold my bookmarks for the past few months. I'm currently in the 600s, with plans of going through all of my resources and get an ebook going, but just haven't gotten around to it. Once I saw that my bookmarks were in jeopardy, I took action.
I found that there are several services that are catering to my fellow social bookmarking nerds' panic, and decided to see what they were all about. One of those services is Diigo, which refers to itself as multiple things:
- A personal research tool (something I'm definitely in need of), armed with the ability to make highlights and sticky notes on a page. This eliminates the need for me to print, well, anything!
- A collaborative research platform. Hurray for project management outside of Google Docs and other things you have to pay for.
- A social content site. We can all use another one of those, right?
- A knowledge sharing community. Do I smell an additional learning platform?
I found that I wasn't the only one trying to move my bookmarks from one platform to another, so my request to import from Delicious is currently on hold.
Then, I found YourVersion, a discovery engine, essentially combining the powers of a search engine, Google alert, and RSS feed.
It's funny, because I'm reading the 4 Hour Workweek and it's talking about information overload, and while I find that yes, all of these tools make it easier to drown in information (my fiance just teased me for having over 8,000 unread pieces in my Google Reader), it excites me that there's so much information floating around! Everyday, you can learn something new.
Where are you hosting your bookmarks? How are you consuming all of that information out there?
- Resources to Help You Migrate Away From Delicious (webpronews.com)
- Delicious Social Bookmarks Going Away - What Shall We Do? (speedofcreativity.org)
- Delicious is dead, now what? [del.icio.us] (arikhanson.com)