Shopping no longer means fighting traffic, worrying about a parking space, and having to go store to store in order compare products and prices. The term shopping has evolved over the last decade with the introduction of online shopping. The ease of use and the ability to compare products and price has converted millions of consumers into online shoppers. Nowadays, consumers can practically buy anything and everything 24/7 without having to leave the comfort of their home simply with the click of a mouse. From clothes to cars, gadgets to groceries, instruments to insurance, toys to tickets and food to fun, it is all made available to individuals looking to purchase these items online.
However, as the number of online shopper increases so does the incidents of online fraud. To protect yourself online, here are 7 tips for becoming a smarter online shopper:
- Security: Make sure the site is secure, look for symbols such as Verisign and words such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
- Payment option: The safest option is to make purchases using credit cards as you will be protected under federal law.
- Background check: Know your seller's reputation. Go through reviews and customer feedbacks about the company before purchasing.
- Products: Look for updated information, product type, actual price listings and authenticity of the products.
- Legal terms: Legal aspect concerning shipping, returns, refunds, warranty and arbitration should be easily accessed.
- Shipping and delivery: Check if the delivery period and any additional hidden costs before purchasing.
- Records: Keep records of all the online transaction - be sure to print out a copy of your receipt.
Author: Vyom Munjaal