To be successful online, to build up your visibility, grow your expert status and get new clients, several things need to be in place:
- You need to know whom to talk to, or in other words, who is your ideal client and how to find him or her online?
- You need to be clear on what information you would like to share and how. What will you write about, and should you blog, tweet, organize webinars, etc.
- You have to understand how to turn connections into followers and followers into fans and clients.
In my perspective there is one question you should focus on in all these three steps: 'How can I build meaningful relationships with the people I meet and come across online?'
Most of us spend a considerable amount of time online. While being online, you are exposed to hundreds of messages, via email, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. If you have a business, you probably will also use these platforms to share your knowledge, establish new connections and promote your services. It is wonderful that we can use social media for all these different purposes. It is easy, it is quick and you can get in touch with a lot of people at the same time.
When we use social media, it is important that we are aware of the fact that our messages are seen and read by real people.
People like you and me. People who go to work, or have a business, with good and bad days, people who have friends and family, hobbies and certain interests. Now if you would like to build up a connection with these people, then you should ask yourself: what is it that creates a connection between them and myself? What do I need to do to build up a meaningful relationship?
I believe that there are three things important in establishing meaningful connections, and they are partly interlinked or connected with each other.
- You build up connections by showing what you are passionate about. This will inspire people, and it can help to build connections with people that share your passion.
- You build up connections by being authentic. By being who you are. By being genuine.
- You build up connections by being human and personal.
In my next three blogs I will further explore these three key elements of building online relationships. I am curious what you think is important in establishing meaningful connections online. Feel free to leave a reply in the box below or get in touch with me via Twitter @prminded.